Working with buyers is great! – The search for the perfect place is an exciting and rewarding experience that ends with satisfaction when we find the right property for you! Reviewing the process ahead of time is a great way to establish rapport and outlines expectations when working with one another.
The buying process can be broken down into four main steps.
- The Consultation
- The Search
- Making an Offer
- Moving Day
- This is where you tell me about yourself, your circumstances, housing needs and what sort of property you are interested in.
- Meet with a mortgage professional at your bank or mortgage broker ( they offer different mortgage options ), and obtain a pre-approval. This is the best way to know what you can afford and makes sure we are looking at the right properties for you. Having a mortgage approval can also give us an advantage over other offers. When writing an offer with an approval in place, it improves the quality of our offer because we are more “ready-to-go”.
- We review and sign preliminary paperwork, including:
- The Consumer Relationship Guide. This reviews agency law as it pertains to a property transaction, the fiduciary obligations I have to you and the different types of relationships available.
- A buyer brokerage agreement. This document outlines our relationship and how I plan on helping you with the purchase of your property.
- Based on your housing needs and wants, I develop an ongoing property search and send you listings.
- You look through the properties and choose your favourites.
- Before we book official viewings, I recommend previewing each property by driving by to get a feel for the neighbourhood to see if you can imagine yourself living there. If they pass the preview and your financing is in order, we start booking showings and looking at properties!
Making an Offer
- Once you have chosen “the one”, I will prepare an offer to purchase.
- We decide how much to offer based on market activity like other competing offers and how long it has been listed, then you sign the paperwork.
- We negotiate with the sellers until we have agreed upon the price, terms and conditions.
- We are now pending!
- You provide the initial deposit (which will form a portion of your down payment). This will remain in a trust account.
- Your bank’s mortgage representative or chosen mortgage broker completes your mortgage application.
- You get a property inspection.
- We remove our conditions.
- You provide the additional deposit.
- The property is SOLD!
- You pack your belongings.
- About a week before the move-in date, you meet with the lawyer to sign some more paperwork and bring a cheque for the rest of the down payment, the legal fee and property tax amount. Your lawyer will let you know how much to make the cheque out for.
- On possession day, once the money has been transferred and the lawyers give the go-ahead, the keys are released and I deliver them to you.
- Congratulations! You own a new property!